SixSevenEight

SixSevenEight

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Irish Stew Extravaganza!

For St. Patrick's Day 2009 I decided to try my hand at making a delicious Irish stew recipe. After consulting our cookbooks we decided to go with a recipe we found on AllRecipes.com called Special Irish Stew.

Since there was a lot of chopping involved, I decided to enlist the help of my brother Jacob, who is a wonderful cook himself. We always have a wonderful time cooking together and there are actually a few dishes, like our homemade salsa, that only tastes right when we're both involved in the cooking process.

Here is Jacob cutting up various veggies for our delicious Irish stew...




Here's what our ingredients looked like after all that peeling and chopping...



The recipe called for a 12 ounce bottle of Irish stout beer, but I'd had Guinness recently wasn't really in the mood for it. So instead of an Irish stout we went with a bottle of Killian's Irish Red Lager. It gave the stew a delicious flavor and we didn't feel we were missing out on the stout taste at all.

Though I hadn't initially planned on making Irish Soda Bread to go with the Irish Stew, Jacob eventually guilted me into it. I decided to use the Irish Soda Bread recipe I used to make Irish Soda Bread when I was in Ireland and I couldn't have been more pleased.

Here's a look at the final product...




It was delicious and a big hit with all of us! We ate our stew and Irish Soda Bread curled up on the couch while we watched "Darby O'Gill and the Little People". Happy St. Patrick's Day!

If you're interested in trying these recipes for yourself here's where you can find them:

Special Irish Beef Stew

Irish Brown Soda Bread

No comments:

Post a Comment