SixSevenEight

SixSevenEight

Friday, April 3, 2009

English Sausage Rolls

One of my favorite meals this week was English Sausage Rolls. Ty and I made them using a really simple recipe we found on AllRecipes.com and they were delicious!!

I'm not a fan of regular ground sausage so we used Gimme Lean ground veggie "sausage" instead. For people like Jacob who feel I need to explain EXACTLY why I don't like regular sausage, my reasons are as follows... It's really greasy...every time I eat it I feel like I should shower afterward because it feels like there is grease EVERYWHERE. The other reason is because every time I eat regular sausage I end up chomping down on something hard and disgusting. I don't know what it is, but it's gross. The experience is what we at Mahalo call a "stop error"; an error so terrible that you simply cannot continue reading, or in this case, eating.

There are a lot of benefits to using the Gimme Lean in recipes. Most importantly, there aren't any weird, crunchy, hard things. It won't leave you feeling greasy either. It's definitely better for you than regular sausage, and it even tastes good.

Because I wasn't using traditional sausage I added two teaspoons each of sage, onion powder and garlic powder to make sure that my veggie sausage would be as tasty and flavorful as regular. Other than that, we stuck pretty close to the recipe.

I was so excited when we pulled the Sausage Rolls out of the oven! They looked and smelled heavenly! A lot of reviewers had mentioned that the Sausage Rolls were too greasy and that the grease had soaked through the bottom layer of breading. Because I used the Gimme Lean veggie sausage it completely eliminated that problem. Ta-da! So our Sausage Rolls were golden brown and crispy all the way around...delicious!

Our camera was running out of batteries so I only had enough "juice" left to get a single picture of the finished product. I served them alongside a simple garden salad. Aren't they beautiful?!



These were delicious and really easy to make. Here's the recipe if you'd like to try them for yourself:

English Sausage Rolls

No comments:

Post a Comment